[sdiy] Metric OT rant

harry harrybissell at prodigy.net
Sat Aug 10 20:28:03 CEST 2002

Andre Majorel wrote:

> A bit of googling will surely give you the details of the DIN
> specs. That's what I used a few days ago to find out what those
> obscure US screw sizes mean. I'm pleased to know that a #10 screw
> is 4.83 mm in diameter. :-)

HA ! now if I could only learn the difference between an M5 and an M8
screw.   :^P

Seriously... we get to think in a system.  For me, the 4-40, 6-32, 8-32, and
10-32
are easy to regognize on sight and  I could tell you right off what size tap
drill, etc.
For metric, even after I multiply by .03937... I still don't know shit.

I think the Metric system for science makes all the sense in the world...
multiply
by 10 etc...

but for tooling, metric is an evil European plot (perhaps a French plot ?
;^)
to hobble America by forcing us to buy two sets of all our tooling...

(we still want to do DIY on old OLD stuff as well)...

And to harass us by having us tell our childern "Son... bring me the 9/16
open end
wrench... or is that an M14 ???... well bring both.... and make sure they
get back
into the right toolboxes...."

(note I have no idea if a 9/16" is even close to an M14... lessee... a 1/2"
is half of
25.4 so its bigger than an M12 so....   ;^)

We in America followed our Colonial masters... the Brits.... who then
promply turned
(red) coat and adopted the Metric (tooling) system. Thanks, guys...!   To
remind us all of this betrayal, we still call our system... "The English
system".  Hah... and to think we were gonna help you all take over the world
again. Fat chance of that now...we're too busy trying to fit a M6 screw in a
1/4" hole...   ;^P

This must be some kind of collective punishment on America, and for what
(just for being such @ssholes to the rest of the Metric world ???)

</rant>

H^) harry