[sdiy] Chameleon

Jay Vaughan jv at access-music.de
Thu Aug 8 12:00:51 CEST 2002

If:

1. You have a PC.
2. You make music.
3. You're used to buying stuff for around $600.
4. You're interested in programming/hacking your own music device.

(A lot of music-bar members fit all 4 points, I know)

Then:

Buy a Chameleon.  Right now.  I mean it.

Timo and I spent the evening last night hacking away at it, and it
really is a very well made product.  The various API's are easy to
get your head around, and there's a *LOT* of instrument functionality
that you can do - real, honest-to-goodness instrument functionality -
that *DOESN'T* require DSP knowledge.

All of the control stuff, for example, can be written in plain C or
C++.  This means that you can fully program how you want things to be
controlled - not just the generation side of things (that's all DSP),
but control.

Fire up the monosynth DSP program as your simple tone generator, for
example, but control it using monster code you wrote on the host
processor side of things, and I'm pretty sure you can come up with
some seriously interesting new synth designs - or at least, synthesis
control designs.  The monosynth design allows for all kinds of wacky
control and routing flexibility.

Want to do your own hardware step sequencer?  Well, the MidiShare API
makes it *easy* to do ... and since you can drive the monosynth with
it...

In short, do not let the DSP nature of Chameleon frighten you off.
You can do a lot on the Chameleon, and I mean a lot, without needing
to focus on DSP.

And the included monosynth sample is not terribly difficult to
understand - actually, its good.  We added a BitReducer module to it
fairly easily last night, for example, and it'd be really easy to
work on new filters for it, new OSC designs, etc.  It sounds pretty
basic, and it is - but you've got all the code, and it's not
difficult to make changes to it.

And also, the way things are designed on the Chameleon, its not so
hard for ... say ... a budding DSP hacker to put together some DSP
code that he then lets someone *else* do all the control (MIDI
implementation, sysex, front panel interface, etc) for ... I could
see this being the case within 3 to 6 months from here.

Honestly folks, I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't think this is a
worthwhile product to get behind - after all, check my .sig.  I don't
work for SoundArt.

Not to mention that the new Australis synth is pretty damned nice.
If there are 2 other synths like this released for the Chameleon
soon, then it will have been a success...

--

j.
jv at access-music.de
Access Music Electronics