[sdiy] Introduction and a question

patchell patchell at silcom.com
Wed Aug 7 17:23:40 CEST 2002

    Guess I need to get back to work on the Synth-DIY FAQ.... :-)

    Making printed circuit boards is a much discussed topic...there are
two schools of thought (and please be aware, these are my opinions, you
will see others).

    1. Making boards at home, while time consuming, is perhaps the
"cheapest" way to go from a materials cost point of view.  However, you
do have to spend a considerable amount of your time (and if that time is
"free", no problem) doing the work of producing boards, plus the added
frustration of having to toss out a run when something goes wrong.  You
also have to be willing to deal with the chemicals needed to do this (I
personally hate this part).

    2. Getting boards made by a profesional Boards house.  There are
many on the internet.  I use http://www.4pcb.com .  They have a deal
where you can get 6 boards made for $33 each (comes to about $200).  For
those who have used this service before, please note that 6 boards is
now the minimum quantity (it used to be 2).  While this seems like a
lot, you do get boards that are double sided, plated through holes, LPI
solder mask, and a legend on one side.  Other people have used other
similar services.

--
 -Jim
* Visit:http://www.silcom.com/~patchell/