[sdiy] Introduction and a question

Peter Grenader petergrenader at mksound.com
Wed Aug 7 16:04:13 CEST 2002

Welcome!  It[s always nice to have a fellow Buchlidian in our midsts!

on 8/7/02 7:00 AM, Ethan Zer0 at ethanzer0 at yahoo.com wrote:

> Evergreen State College in Olympia,

I've been very impressed with that place!  Their studios seem terrific and
they didn't do what Cal Arts did:  sell off all the old stuff when the new
technologies arose  (Buchla and tape equipment included).

What is their composition program like?  Cal Art's was ecellent in some
areas, but kind of wierd.  A lot of theory, a lot of basic skill stuff like
solfeggio (three freaking years of it), but for instance they never really
covered orchestration, ever.  They just make you switch from electronics to
acoustic writing in the third year by saying:  Write a string quartet.  Now,
write a piece for orchestra and electronics.  It was quite stressful for me
in that I knew none of the tricks of doing that correctly, but they did not
account for that lack of knowledge (i.e. learning) in their appraisal of the
works which came from my efforts!

again., welcome aboard.

Peter Grenader