[sdiy] OT, but Interesting: you can buy credit cards on www.carder.org

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Mon Aug 5 10:31:41 CEST 2002

On the point of "secure server", it's important to note that what is
secure is the _connection_ and only the connection.

I worked as a contractor for a large corporation that has a networked
electronic point of sale system.  Although your credit card electronic
transaction is quite secure, the data is not once it lands where it
lands.  I worked in a position (as did many people) where I had
unencumbered access to the data files which contained literally thousands
of credit card transactions, completely unencrypted, all with enough
information to create viable new transactions.  If I were unscrupulous,
I could have easily defrauded their customers of thousands of dollars.
This using a tool the likes of Windows notepad.

The connection is secure, the people involved may not be.  Deal with those
you trust.  It's easy to be nefarious behind an internet "business".

The Proteus <proteus at ugwarehouse.org> wrote:
>All,

Speaking of CC fraud, I just got this spam in my inbox. Fun
>stuff... it's no longer low-brow white collar crime, but it's its own
>industry now.
>
>Sickening, eh?
>
>Regards,
>
>Prot
>
>- - - T h e  U n d e r g r o u n d  W a r e h o u s e - - -
>- - - Subversive - Tools - For - A - Chaotic - Planet - - -
>-  h t t p : / / w w w . u g w a r e h o u s e . o r g /  -
>--<T h e  P r o t e u s>-<Musician>-<Producer>-<Engineer>--

- What good are laws that only lawyers understand?
- Government: The other religion.
- The media's credibility should always be questioned.
- Lambs who lie down with lions are lunch.

-- Scott Gravenhorst | LegoManiac / Lego Trains / RIS 1.5
-- Linux Rex         | RedWebMail by RedStarWare
-- FatMan: home1.GTE.NET/res0658s/FatMan/
-- NonFatMan: home1.GTE.NET/res0658s/electronics/