[sdiy] Useful equipment

harrybissell at prodigy.net harrybissell at prodigy.net
Fri Aug 2 23:04:15 CEST 2002

>On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 03:03:23PM -0400, Steve Begin wrote:
>> What constitutes a good soldering iron?  I'm guessing mine is far from it, since it was under 10 dollars CAN. :)
>>
>> I'm on a budget, but I'm willing to spend more than I should, if it comes to that :)
>> Thanks for all the great advice, I'm gonna be spending the next week or so glued to ebay, and see if I can't get a decent selection of equipment out of it!

I'm using (and have been for 25 years) an Ungar Imperial 40W
soldering iron. I use a 1/8" chisel tip. Its not temperature
controlled, but I have a holder with a triac 'dimmer' circuit
built in that allows a lower heat, which I don't ever use except
during idle...

I use either the face or edge of the chisel tip.

DISCLAIMER : For this weeks "Alesis D4 Backlight" repair (SMT)
I switched to a very small tip... for this one job.  I usually
am not doing SMT on this scale.

A LOT depends on your skill with the soldering iron. I believe that
a good HOT iron and a short soldering time is better than a cooler
tip and a LONG soldering time. Most old-timers (myself, Bob Pease,
and probably Larry Hendry :^) would agree. (gotcha again Larry...)

I guess like everything else... its not the size of the tool but
how you use it...

(PS I do like those $800 PACE soldering / desoldering stations...
but I'd buy a used analog with that money.... ;^)

H^) harry