[sdiy] Mikado: call for suggestion

media.nai at rcn.com media.nai at rcn.com
Fri Aug 2 16:16:34 CEST 2002

At 6:14 PM +0000 08/01/02, harrybissell at prodigy.net wrote:

>Here are some scales from my Theremin Quantizer.
>I have two 4-bit selects... one for Key Signature
>and one for Scale select.

It has 16 keys?!

Anyway, yes, 16 "scales" is the most you can get from 4 bits.  So if you
wanted to add the most options, your way is best.  The problem is that you
need to keep a chart handy or add some kind of display.  DIY displays
aren't so easy -- I can't find any displays that fit into round holes and
cutting rectangular holes is a PITA.

With the "Mikado" way -- using meaningful names and one function for each
bit, the most you can have is 9 choices.  So adding a useful selection of
chords would probably require more bits.