[sdiy] Plugging anything into anything

Paul Schreiber synth1 at airmail.net
Fri Aug 2 00:14:49 CEST 2002

My favorite irate customer letter when I was at Tandy (early 80's) was a guy who wanted "more
output" from his 2-meter handy-talkie radio. So the unscrewed off the coax from the back of his
cable TV box, and use ViseGrips to screw the cable to the antenna connector. When he keyed the
transmitter, he sent 5W of RF upstream. This was my favorite part (paraphrasing from memory)....

"I am enclosing a bill in the amount of $32,900 from Charter Cable for clainmed damages to their
equipment. I expect Radio Shack to pay this in full, because the manual never said not to do
this."

It also never said to stick your weener in the toaster.

I go a million Radio Shack letter stories. In the "glory years" of 1977-1980, we we sued an
average of once a day.

Paul S.