[sdiy] Mikado: call for suggestion

Scott Evans, Gen Mgr esresource at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 1 20:44:23 CEST 2002

media.nai at rcn.com wrote:

> Naming chords gets very confusing -- and from looking at the above
> description, off the top of my head, I'm not sure what Scale-Major-7thChord
> is going to give me -- CEGBb or CEGB??  I'm sure Harry or Larry can correct
> me, but aren't "C7" and a "Cmajor7" two different chords??.  That's one way
> to get from major to minor, right??

For clarification:

Major 7th interval would inlcude C up to B
Minor 7th interval would include C up to Bb

A C7 (commonly called a 7th) chord would include the major triad and
minor 7th interval C-E-G-Bb
A CM7 (C major 7th) would include the major triad and major 7th interval
C-E-G-B
A Cm7 (C minor 7th) would include the minor triad and minor 7th interval
C-Eb-G-Bb

Additionally, the Caug7 (C augmented 7th): C-E-G#-B
and the Cdim7 (C diminshed 7th): C-Eb-G-A(Bbb)

Scott