[sdiy] Level Headed

Don Tillman don at till.com
Thu Aug 1 10:34:19 CEST 2002

   > From: Tim Parkhurst <tparkhurst at siliconbandwidth.com>
   > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:58:30 -0700
   >
   > What sort of levels do most modulars use for CV and audio? From what I've
   > seen, it looks like +/-5V for audio, and 0 to +10V for control voltages. If
   > so, I think I can see the reasoning behind it (positive and negative swings
   > allow audio signals to add and subtract from each other, while keeping CVs
   > positive only makes it easier to build something like a keyboard by just
   > using a resistor divider chain and a bunch of switches), but I'm more than
   > willing to admit I'm not really 100% sure.

I think you're wording the question in a deceptive way.

The most important thing about a control voltage is the "reference
point", the voltage that everything is measured relative to.  For
example, the beginning of a waveform or an envelope.  Or the end.
It's the point you care about.

The "reference point" is typically 0.0 Volts.

And everything else falls into place from there.

  -- Don (doing his faux zen master bit again)

--
Don Tillman
Palo Alto, California, USA
don at till.com