[sdiy] Daft Idea, LINUX SYNTH

Jim Patchell patchell at silcom.com
Fri Dec 28 22:00:23 CET 2001

   An admirable goal, but I see problems....

   1. In general, most of the circuits that are circulating around out
there can be called just about anything except orignal.  Those that do
have patents on them have long since expired, so they are in the public
domain.  Even so, similar subjects as to who might own what has been
discussed here before.  I for one would have no problem with this, but I
am sure we are for the most part aware of various squabbles that have
errupted in the past (and I think we know exactly whom I am refering to,
weather it is justified or not).

   2.  I am under the impression that there are about 600 members, give
or take, to the list, and would be willing to bet there are 600 ways to
build a modular.

   3.  The software (code) part, at least, is pretty easy.  If fact,
that is probably the reason why Linux is a success.  The one problem I
see however is that a processor will need to be chosen for the code to
run on.  Because of the differences between processors, and the level at
which the code must be written, it is going to be very difficult to make
the code both portable and efficient on all processors.  And, I would
imagine that there will be 600 different choices of which micro would be
the best to use.

   Now that I have gotten that out of my system...another posible idea
is maybe not so much of a working system as a collection (archive) of
contributions from list members that is all in one place for anybody to
use.  This would not nessesarily solve problem #1, but would for the
most part solve 2 and 3.  It would be up to anyone who made use of any
circuits or code to make sure that they conformed to whatever
requirements the individual might have....

   Just my thoughts......but you know me....

   -Jim