[sdiy] Can I do anything useful with this?

Sowa Roman Roman.Sowa at upc.com.pl
Tue Dec 18 17:25:06 CET 2001

IMHO adding a little extra controller is simpler than doing it all
from the begining in 8049. One chip, I'd use PIC16F627, reading
RS232 (before voltage converters of course) and adding appropriate
MIDI messages to the value sent by the box. I assume that the box
sends 2 bytes: pot number and its value. I wouldn't be surprised if
it was more than 8-bits for pot position (3 bytes then).

So, first find (write) simple software that prints on PC screen everything
that is sent via RS232 from this box, see what bytes change when you
move the knob and what change when you move another knob.
Then you just have to write (or ask someone to do it for you) simple
byte conversion program for the PIC.

Roman