[sdiy] Can I do anything useful with this?

THOMAS, Mervyn mervyn.thomas at astrium-space.com
Tue Dec 18 11:55:27 CET 2001

Following the recent talk about rifling through skips (dumpsters) and
getting lucky-

I just 'found' a 'knob box' - off an old CAD system I think - it comprises 8
pots , an 8 channel A-D converter, 8045 uC, UART + RS232 (via 8 pin mini
DIN) interface.

It's labelled IBM 6094-010 but can find no details on line. The pots just go
round and round - never come across these before, they're marked Japan Servo
VP22 but they don't feature on the Japan Servo website.

So, question is: could this be used as a MIDI controller of some kind (via
PC I guess) and if so how? bearing in mind I ain't the worlds most competent
programmer :o)

Read serial port > write midi data?? Could this data be merged with MIDI
from (say) a sequencer to control a keyboard??

Anyone done anything like this before or able to offer suggestions?? Seems
such a shame to waste it...

happy trails...

Merv Thomas.
If you have received it in error then you must not use, retain, disseminate
or otherwise deal with it.  Please notify the sender by return email.
The views of the author may not necessarily constitute the views of Astrium Limited.
Nothing in this email shall bind Astrium Limited in any contract or obligation.
Astrium Limited
Gunnels Wood Road
Stevenage
Hertfordshire