Slinky reverbs et al

Harry Bissell harrybissell at prodigy.net
Fri Mar 31 05:02:22 CEST 2000

The "rotary" actuation is less likely to be disrupted by normal (to the axis)
vibration...
but I have never seen the "rotary" mechanism.  The normal method is a piece
of ferrite (bead) at the end of the spring in the poles of an electromanget.

Now make the spring a slinky... and the ferrite bead a BIG HONKIN IRON
BOLT... and the electromagnet some iron U-BOLTS with enough turns of copper
wire to give about... oh... 8 ohms impedance (at the drive frequency of
course). The pickup is a coil, telephone pickup coils for recording work, as
well as guitar pickups...

Especially really old pickups... Trash that 1959 Gibson Les Paul... Its shit.
Rip that PAF pickup out and make a slinkey reverb... toss the bones in the
trash...

H^)  harry (glad this ain't guitar DIY eh???)

BTW "Yes" used slinkys mounted to a board (horizontal) with pickups on them.
They would kick them onstage for the battle effects in "The Gates of
Delirium" from the "Relayer" album.  A real hoary (sp?) test of your
subwoofers....