Lead to Lithium

Theo t.hogers at home.nl
Tue Mar 28 13:04:56 CEST 2000

Hi Plinio,

Currend limiting res. is a good approach for backup
batteries, if the currend is small enough the batteries can't
be overloaded.
For your app. a intelligent charger looks like a good solution,
it's not the cheapo solution thoug.
This are uP controlled chargers that monitor the condition of the
battery, keep it in shape and can addapt to strange voltages.
They also do NiMH battaries (NiCd is old and gone within the next few years
better look at NiMH's).
There are some DIY types but they are quit complex to build.
Some good and cheap types come from conrad electronics www.conrad.de
prices vary from $40 (80dm) to about $100 (230dm).
'Course there should be plenty of other sourses for this to.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Theo