mellotron sampler?

CCartCat at aol.com CCartCat at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 21:00:54 CEST 2000

<<
In a message dated 3/27/2000 9:00:30 PM, t02e at hotmail.com writes:

<<I know this is way impractical, but I have plans to build a massive
sequencer & sampler that runs off of lots of relays and tape decks with
rec/play heads and looped tape.  I have two questions:
whats the minimal amount of circuitry I need to make a device that can
convert a normal audio signal to the signal that a record head needs, and
converts what a play head reads back to another standard audio signal? Does
this involve complicated processing? or are tape heads pretty simple
devices?>>

That's definitely the hard way. An easier, but much less flexible approach is
that taken by, I think, a guy in Cabaret Voltaire. He had a bank of Sony
Walkmans sitting on a table with the Play/Pause buttons facing up. He played
this like a keyboard, unpausing & repausing deftly. The cassettes were
prerecorded noises & loops.

Scott Fraser>>

In my caveman noisemaking days (early 80's--no doubt influenced by the likes
of Cab. Voltaire) I recorded a squealing squawking sax mic'd thru a flanger.
I then popped the cassette into a playback deck, hit play and used the remote
on/off switch on a cheap mic to control the playback deck.  You get the
ramping up to and down from normal playback speed and the consequent pitch
bending when turning the deck on & off, but for my purposes (there were no
other pitched sounds, etc.) this made no difference.

One adaptation of the pause button/mic switch approachs (for steady state
sounds/unsynced loops anyhow) would be have the sounds recorded for the
length of the respective cassettes, let the cassette players run and have
some central keyboard/mixer/interface where you mute and unmute these sounds
at will.  Which is heading back to the hard way, but less involved with
remote control of decks themselves.  Cassette multitracks and such would be
less funky versions of the same.

In any case, your idea sounds cool;  please share your results.

A once & future lurker,
Kevin Seward