OT but excellent

Don Tillman don at till.com
Sat Mar 25 05:35:25 CET 2000

   Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:02:27 -0800
   From: Bob Gonsalves <pinknoiz at pinknoiz.com>

   At 7:43 AM -0800 3/24/00, Don Tillman wrote:
   >It's a Java applet.  Very cool indeed.  (There's a problem running on
   >Mac's, something about a missing jar file, but such is life.)

   Worked ok on my Mac. I viewed it in IE with the latest MRJ. Which
   .jar did it say was missing?

[added synth-diy]

The first time I tried it on my Macintosh in Netscape it complained
that it couldn't find <something>40.jar, but I tried it again just now
and it works, but it runs way too slowly to be useful.  I see they
updated the program today, including some new creatures, so maybe
that's it.  In IE the applet runs much faster, though pretty jerky.

For those folks who care: On the Macintosh, Netscape uses it's own
Java engine while IE uses Apple's built-in Java engine.  Netscape's
Java engine is not a good implementation as well as being a hybrid
(that's the nicer term) of two different versions.  Apple's Java
engine is much nicer, though still has some problems.  (Some of their
more interesting bug reports are from me.)

   -- Don