OT but excellent

Haible Juergen Juergen.Haible at nbgm.siemens.de
Fri Mar 24 17:57:52 CET 2000

	>It models these insect-like creatures with a simple collection of
	>masses and springs, and links some of the springs to various phases
of
	>a forcing function so they can crawl.  Try messing with some of the
	>creatures a bit; reduce the friction, increase the spring
constants,
	>tweak the muscle movement.  Grab one of the mass points with the
mouse
	>and fling it around.

Create a few fixed points in the midst of the area, and connect some of the
bug's
variable points with some of these. Give the creature a slap with the mouse
make it fly across the space, and find it captivated in the spider web of
fixed
points soon. See it wiggle and struggle to break loose. Reducing friction
will make
the movements even more frantic.

	>The movements of the creatures are entirely captivating.

Indeed. When I tried it last night, I called my wife, now look at this, and
she
was captivated, too: Oh no, I can't stand to see you torture these animals

JH.

PS.: Try this one: Invert gravity until the bug is in the upper range of the
space.
        Switch gravity off.
        With gravity still switched off, increase the gravity level to a
higher level
        with the "G" slider.
        Switch gravity on again, and see the bug smashed on the floor.