MAT-02 and MAT-04

Jim Patchell patchell at teletrac.com
Wed Mar 15 18:00:36 CET 2000

    I am getting ready to make a bulk purchase of transistors for
exponential converters.  Here is the problem:

    As many of you may or may not know, the MAT-02 costs about $8.  The
MAT-04 costs about $4.  When you consisder that the MAT-04 has four vs
two transistors for the MAT-02, the MAT-04 is 1/4 the cost.

    You don't get something for nothing so here is the rub:

    The MAT-02 has slightly better specs (Bulk resistance is about 0.1
ohm less), which is probably not "real" significant.  The other
consideration is crosstalk.  Since the MAT-04 would likely be used to do
two VCO's, has anybody got any experience in unwanted syncing between
oscilators using the same transistor array to do the exp function for
both oscilators?

    If there are any other good arguments for or against a dual vs. quad
transistor array in this application, I would like to hear them.

    I do plan to make whichever part I get availiable to SYNTH-DIY
people at cost when I get them.

    Thanks for any help.

    -Jim