tube question

matt wilson sebsi23 at home.com
Tue Mar 14 19:01:26 CET 2000

(apologies for the OT post; i don't know where else to ask!)

i've just purchased a replacement 6V6 "tube" from an electronics
store, but it sure doesn't look like the tube its replacing. the old
item is clearly (literally!) a tube: glass, etc. the replacement is
in a black metal can, and to my eyes does not look sealed at the
bottom (hence, no vacuum, and more hence, not a "tube"?), although
it states "6V6" on the side.  since this is a rectifier component, i'm
guessing its solid state, and there are four big diodes in there.
sure, it works, but my "tube" record player may no longer be
tube.....

can anyone confirm whether this black can is tubular?

thx. sorry again for being OT....

matt

--
MATT WILSON is ODYSSEY SOUND