VCO pcb worries

WeAreAs1 at aol.com WeAreAs1 at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 22:58:02 CET 2000

Hello folks,

I'm wondering if it might help to isolate the supply legs of the various
circuit sections (each VCO) by connecting their power through a low-value
resistor (10 to 100 ohms) in this manner:

                     small res.
Power Supply leg >-+--/\/\/\/---+----> to VCO #1
                   |            |
                   |           ===
                   |           === decoupling cap
                   |            |
                   |          -----
                   |           ---
                   |            -
                   | small res.
                   +--/\/\/\/---+----> to VCO #2
                   |            |
                   |           ===
                   |           === decoupling cap
                   |          -----
                   |           ---
                  etc.          -

I've seen this used to good effect for decoupling noisy or spike-prone
circuits such as LFO's and digital noise generators.  I honestly don't know
how well it would work on such a subtle thing as oscillators soft-syncing to
each other via tiny currents, nor do I know what value the R/C network would
need to be to effectively decouple - but it might be worth a try.

Michael Bacich