power supply question

jhaible jhaible at debitel.net
Thu Mar 9 21:31:54 CET 2000

Don't do it.
Voltage regulators can die from their output being more positive than
their input. In a good design, there are reverse diodes to prevent
damage when the input voltage falls faster than the output voltage
(switch the unit off, capacitors storing energy ...), but often these diodes
are not used in order to keep costs low.
You may be lucky if it works, but I wouldn't rely on it.

JH.