Ultra-quiet PC colling; a different approach

danial stocks diode at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 05:44:02 CET 2000

>Is there a problem with a peltier cooler
>causing condensation? I mean, just standing a cold drink
>can on the desk gets quite a puddle.

There could be.. The peltier device generates a constant temperature
difference between it's surfaces usu abt 50 -60C when running at full power.
so the cold face is 60C lower than what ever temp the hot face is.. if you
had a really good heatsink then you could hold the hot side to 0C with some
ice cubes and have a -60C cryogenic cooler [obviously not intended to go
into the computer in this case] but in practice if we said that the heatsink
to ambient was abt 1C/w, and the cpu dissipates 30W, and the peltier uses
the same amt, then that puts the hot side 60C above ambient temp, and with a
60C temp diff that means that the processor is held nicely @ ambient
temperature.. If you were to use a more efficient heatsink, then you could
get the proc. below ambient temperature, which could cause some condensation
on a very humid day... A shop in Sydney had a peltier on display when they
first came out for cpu's - it was running not attached to a computer and
there was ice building up on it!
Cheers,
Dan