Ultra-quiet PC colling; a different approach.

alex hadley fourply69 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 9 14:35:12 CET 2000

hello,

We have recently been looking into cheap and cheerfull ways of making our
server, which resides in the dinig room, shut up.  As far as fan noise goes,
we first tried just a 10W peltier effect device between the processor and
heatsink, but it didn't pump enough heat and we had some strange crashes.
We then placed a fan running on 5v (much quieter than 12v) on the heat sink
and it all seems to be running fine and quietly.

As far as hard drive noise goes, someone has suggested trying to hang the HD
in the case with rubber bands or something similar.  We haven't tried it yet
but we'll see how it goes.

All this may not be as effective as liquid cooling but it is certainly a lot
safer and less hassle.  Hope it gives you all some ideas.

Alex.