Depleted Uranium (way OT)

Doug Tymofichuk dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca
Wed Mar 8 16:04:26 CET 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:02:13 -0500 KA4HJH <ka4hjh at gte.net>
wrote:

> >BTW, anyone know what the chance of survival is for
> someone with DU >contamination in a wound?
>
> Well, the cause of death probably won't be radiation
> poisoning--the U238 nucleus is notoriously stable. How
> toxic is uranium itself?

Actually, depleted uranium is always slightly radioactive,
never completely pure U238, so it's something you should
stay away from. Lead would be a better choice for home use,
although it is much softer. If the shell actually
contaminated the wound (seems unlikely, it should just pass
right through the body, shouldn't it?) then it depends on
the amount of depleted uranium present, its proximity to
sensitive organs, the amount of possible uptake into the
bloodstream, and the length of time of exposure. I believe
that uranium is fairly toxic (like lead), so that would
also be a concern. Taking into account all of this, I agree
that radiation and toxicity would probably be the least of
your worries.

> BTW, anybody know where I can get some of those spend
> rounds? I'd just like to have some to show off, although I
> hear DU is great for weighting model locomotives.

*BAD* idea, unless you happen to live in an area of low
background radiation and need a boost. Low level radiation
is thought to be important for good health, much like most
trace elements; a little is good, lots will kill you.
Doug Tymofichuk
dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca