BonoVox9 at BonoVox9 at
Wed Mar 8 09:54:45 CET 2000

In a message dated 3/7/00 8:09:47 PM Central Standard Time, t.hogers at 

<< Hi Jason,
 I don't know anny books but maybe this helps you on the road.
 Before we begin, you need to draw a pentagram on the ground
 and have some fresh!! (this is important) chicken blood at hand.
 -VCO: Voltage Controlled Oscilator,
             a unit that generates a tone, mostly a raw simple wave form
             like a sine wave, "square" wave or "sawtooth".
             These wave forms are named after the way they look and
             don't sound very musical yet...quite boaring mostly.
 (please put three drops of chicken blood in a glass of  water, then read
 -DCO: Digital Controlled Oscilator, same as a VCO but digital.
 -WG: Wave generator, just another name for the same thing.
 -LFO: Low Frequency Oscilator, Same idea as a VCO only the
             frequency is verry low, it is used to generate vibrato like
             you know: like a police sirene "peeeweeepeeeweeep...."
 -ADSR: Stands for Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release.
             The most difficult of all, and even this one is simple.
             These terms are used to describe a sound over time.
             Simple example: the sound of a piano.
             A piano has short Attack, and a long Decay.
             Play a piano sound backwards and you've got a long Attack and a
 short Decay.
             A piano has no Sustain, the note dies after the decay.
             The tone of a organ or fute starts (Attack) then stays at the
 same level,
             so it is Sustained.
             Realease is the same as Decay, but after you lifted your finger
 form the keyboard.
 -EG or ENV: Envelope (Generator). Same as ASDR.
 -VCA: Voltage Controlled Amplifier, A amplifier yust as in your HiFi set,
 only the volume
             can be changed by a ADSR or LFO.
             The signal that is used to "controll" the unit is called the
 Control Voltage.
 -DCA: need I say more?
 -VCF, DCF,.. You get the hang of it don't you?
                       This time it is a filter, think of it as a advanced
 tone control.
                       Indeed the filter can be controlled by a LFO or ADSR.
                       To simulate the sounds that it produces, say "OUWW" or
 -LP, BP, HP: stands for Low Pass, Band Pass and Low Pass, these are
 different kind of filters
                     each has its own character.
 -Resonance, one of the controlls on the filters, used to make synthetic and
 often screaming sounds.
 KOV: Keyboard Offset Voltage, The control voltage generated by the keyboard
 usually fed to the VCO.
 Gate: A signal from the keyboard genarated when a key is pressed.
             This signal is used to start the ADSR, and to switch it to
 Release when the key is lifted.
 If your a musican take a look in some back issues of Keaboard or Future
 music (GB).
 Both have synths for beginners stuf in it that explane how to use a synth.
 Cheers Theo.
 PS.1 let's keep this simple.
 PS. 2 just practising my english ok? >>

so, can you tell me what kind of features i can expect from the Fatman?

More information about the Synth-diy mailing list