Pamona ban jacks - solder won't stick

WeAreAs1 at aol.com WeAreAs1 at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 10:06:40 CET 2000

<<Would lots of flux and a solder pot do any good in these situations???>>

Yeah, it probably would.  You might not need the solder pot - a good
high-heat iron and regular solder would probably be enough, but the real
helper would be the old-fashioned acid flux (with a little flux-basting
brush).  A few good whiffs of it'll make you feel like a crusty old radio
repairman (and probably give you cancer, too).  You can buy the stuff at most
hardware stores, if not at your local electronics supplier.  They have it in
the tool department of my neighborhood Home Depot.  I think people buy it for
soldering to brass plumbing pipe or galvanized steel pipe.

Another thing that would probably help is to grind or file some of the
plating off the metal.  Scuffing it with steel wool or a wire brush is
usually not enough.  You've got to get down to the raw metal underneath.

If those were ITT/Pomona brand jacks, I would send them back for
replacements.  If they were no-name imports, well, you pays your money, you
takes your choice...

Michael Bacich