Playing the modular through my home stereo

Theo Hogers t.hogers at home.nl
Sat Mar 4 05:29:46 CET 2000

PA are in a completely different ballpark than home systems and studio
monitors.
For drivers used in home and studio monitor systems 6dB and 12dB are the
rule.
Gentle crossovers are smoother with less phase problems around the crosover
points.
If you want to use your home sterio as a monitor system for your synth gear,
please use a limitter for protection.
If you have the bucks buy a set of studio monitors, do so, it will sound
much better.
When in mixdown or simply playing outloud they are virtualy a must.

So far for the whishdom, now I use a home sterio for monitoring about 20
years now.
It serves me well, but then again my music is not heavy on the bass.
The system I use has 20W speakers driven by a 2x80W amp.
Since the speakers will blow long before the amp start to distort there is a
build in
protection against  distortion, thus protecting the speakers.
20W may seem on the low side.
For small rooms (say 4x4 meters) it turns out to be enough.
It protects my hearing, prevents fatique and is still loud enough to annoy
the neighbours ;-).

For mixdown I use a pro studio system, home systems don't do in that part.
Highend systems tend to sound to smooth, cheapo's to harsh, in praxis both
causes fatique
on long intense listening sessions ea. mixdown.

This is what works for me, will be intresting to hear what works for others.
Cheers Theo.