Playing the modular through my home stereo

Magnus Danielson cfmd at swipnet.se
Sat Mar 4 02:56:34 CET 2000

From: Doug Tymofichuk <dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Playing the modular through my home stereo
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:55:46 -0700 (Mountain Standard Time)

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:15:55 +0100 (MET) Martin Czech
> <czech at Micronas.Com> wrote:
>

> > :::Electrostatic speakers may come closer, mine are immune
> > to :::DC damage. Square waves sound VERY cool through them.
> >
> > According to Pfleiderer electrostatic speakers have phase
> > distortion as well, but I have seen no screen shots. Mr. P.
> > says in his books: "well these giant membranes are said to
> > reveil spaciness, make everything larger then life, but
> > have you seen a singer with a 1 m^2 mouth?".
> >
> > I think he means that the size of these membranes cause
> > localisation problems.
>
> I have found this problem with other panel speakers, most
> notably Magneplaner speakers (which are NOT electrostatic).
> All of the electrostatic speakers that I have heard (Quad,
> Acoustat, & Martin-Logan) have been extremely precise in
> localisation when set up correctly, IMO, just as precise as
> any "box" type dynamic speaker system, but with more width,
> depth, and height. But with any bipole or dipole speaker,
> placement is CRITICAL, so if one is not familiar with
> setting these up, mileage may vary considerably.

The "shape" of the source really does it. Also, the spreading and frequency
responce off axis also plays a role, since the reflections will also give the
ear a hint. Simple shapes really help. The Quad 63's for instance have rings
with diffrent delay in order for them to act like a simulated sphere, and
having those in a room really gives you a diffrent feel about the sound.

Corny shapes of emitted sound really make the ear and mind a bit messed up.

> > Anyway, his reasoning appplys only to the high fidelity
> > reproduction of "natural" recordings, not the kind of E.M.
> > I'm inteerested in 80% of the time.
> >
> I have found that E.M. sounds much better and more
> realistic on a top notch system, just as "natural" music
> does. And that includes your weird music too, Martin!

Please give your definition of "top notch system".

Cheers,
Magnus