Playing the modular through my home stereo

danial stocks diode at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 15:27:28 CET 2000

>What I've wondered about for a long time is the effect of instantaneous
>transitions on speakers (even in the audio range). It seems hard enough to
>get electrons to move like saw and square waves, let alone speaker cones.
>Anyone know how traumatic this is for speakers?

Early [real early] CD players had a strange error checking idea... if the
byte of data couldn't be read, instead of interpolating a value for it, it
simply put in 000000.. so halfway up a big wave form, and you suddenly hit
ground again.. this apparently used to rip the voice coil off the back of
the cone!