Playing the modular through my home stereo

Magnus Danielson cfmd at swipnet.se
Wed Mar 1 17:53:59 CET 2000

From: --M <mitch at sirius.com>
Subject: Playing the modular through my home stereo
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 03:38:06 -0700

>     Hey all I've been playing my modular through my home stereo. Is this
> bad? It sounds ok but sometimes I worry that I may fry my stereo? A
> friend suggested a limiter? What do you guys think?
>     I like to use the stereo its very convient I can record from etc.

I would use a fixed damping so that you lower the 0 dB reference level from
that of your modular to that of your stereo. You can solve many problems by
just looking at clipp/reference/noise-levels and gain and not have to resolve
problems with non-linear gain devices such as limiters. Besides, if you don't
know where your levels are, what guarantee do you have that the level comming
out of your limiter does not cause a problem?

The good point with doing propper gain and level analysis is that you can tweak
levels way up, and still have a problem to break anything. It makes the system
easier to run within specs so to speak.

So, a passive damping could do the trick and you would have less worries.

Tweak on!

Cheers,
Magnus