Playing the modular through my home stereo

Doug Tymofichuk dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca
Wed Mar 1 16:23:30 CET 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 08:35:40 EST IXQY at aol.com wrote:

>  Hello,
>  With some amps, isn't it possible that an input with a DC
> offset can damage them?
>
>  I'm speaking a bit over my head here technically, but I
> think older Harmon Kardon amps (and others) had DC coupled
> (or not DC coupled?) amp stages that could react adversely
> in this instance.
>
>  On the other hand, I've always used home stereo amps to
> play my synths through and have had no problems....

AFAIK even DC amplifiers like the Harmon Kardon have
coupling capacitors on the inputs to prevent damage from
this. The amplifier is only DC coupled internally, so
shouldn't be a problem.

OTOH if you have a lower quality system, I would not be
surprised if you could force parasitic oscillation of the
amplifiers with overdiven high frequency, burning them out.
I think tweeters are probably at the biggest risk.

Doug Tymofichuk
dougt at cancerboard.ab.ca