Playing the modular through my home stereo

Bill Layer blayer at uswest.net
Wed Mar 1 14:13:35 CET 2000

Hi,

>     Hey all I've been playing my modular through my home stereo. Is this
>bad? It sounds ok but sometimes I worry that I may fry my stereo? A
>friend suggested a limiter? What do you guys think?

The amplifiers ought to be fine, all though it might be wise to watch your
input level, as some modulars can produce quite a voltage swing.. Some
concern for the input stage of the stereo. The real concern is for your
tweeters - you have an excellent chance of blowing them to the lack of
equalization and compression in the signal.

If you watch the input level (output of the modular) and add some sort of
eq to control the higher freqs, you should be OK... but just remember that
home stereos are (generally) not musical instrument amplifiers, and were
never intended to take the kind of abuse that a live instrument signal is
capable of inflicting... call it dynamic range.

|      "The" Bill Layer - Frogtown, Minnesota. U.S.A.      |
| Vacuum tubes, Analog, Motorcycles and Other Alternatives |