MIDI sequencer?

WeAreAs1 at aol.com WeAreAs1 at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 05:36:11 CET 2000

<<I'm curious if anyone is familiar with a the application/design of a

sequencer to send program change commands as well as note commands for

each step to create a Wavestation-like sequence out of a K2000 or whatever

synth?  Is the program change handled by the synth in a fast enough manner

to prevent audible delays?  Does one of these smaller rythm sequencers

allow you to do this?  Software program?  User-friendly enough to just

turn a (virtual?) dial and scan through the synth's program sounds?>>

Hello Barry,

Most modern synthesizers (post 1992 or so) are capable of receiving a program
change as close as one clock pulse before the note-on message (even at 480
ppq).  Most of these synths will play the new note and new sound with no
audible delay and will not mute or cut off the release of the "old" sound.
In fact, you can even sustain the last note (with the old sound) past the
point where the new note and sound starts up - on the same MIDI channel.  The
old sound will continue to play on any held notes until those notes are
released, after which new notes will be sounded with the most recent program
change.  It's even possible to have the *same note* playing simultaneously
with two different sounds, both on the same MIDI channel (it's tricky, but
definitely possible).

Interestingly, one of the first synths to come out that had this capability
was the Wavestation.  I'm sure that its wavesequencing capability depended on
its ability to play multiple timbres on one MIDI channel in rapid sucession
in a smooth and seamless manner.  I think the first synth to have this
ability was the Kurzweil K-1000 series.  By 1993, everybody was doing it (I
wonder if there were any patents involved?).

If you have a General MIDI synth, such as a Roland Sound Canvas, you can
experiment with these sequencing techniques.  The K-2000 is also well-suited
this technique, as are any of Roland's JV/XP series synths.  I use this
technique to great effect when creating auto-accompaniment data and demo
sequence data for Kawai and Yamaha.  Since auto-accompaniment sequences are
always limited to just a handful of MIDI channels, this method is useful for
achieving a more full orchestration.  On one particular instrument, I had to
make three MIDI channels (two channels plus drums) sound like six.  The
aforementioned technique was the only way to do it.

The virtual dial/program change scanner idea sounds like fun, but I don't
know of any sequencer that has something like that (except for maybe Logic,
which can do pretty much anything - at the possible cost of your sanity...).
I have a Peavey PC-1600 MIDI controller box, and it will allow you to assign
its sliders to send program changes - moving the slider from bottom to top
will quickly scan through programs 0 through 127.  It would be interesting to
put that slider under voltage control (easily done on the Peavey), and use
various analog CV's to initiate program changes.  You could use another
slider to define note numbers, and one of the soft buttons to send note-on's
to the currently selected note.  I imagine you could get some wild
Wavesequence-like stuff happening that way - especially if you were using it
to trigger a sampler.   One of these days I'll have to try it!

Michael Bacich