blue box

Kirke Sonnichsen kirke at lmi.net
Wed Aug 30 21:54:03 CEST 2000

The Blue Box is one of those flip-flop type octave dividers.
I think that's at the heart of all octve divders without dsp
in them (well I supose you could make a case for the flip-flop
being dsp...)

And octave up circuts of that era all seemed to use a
balanced modulator with both inputs receiving the same
signal, then, like their octave dividers bretheren, some
had some waveshaping or filtering. The Electro Harmonix
Microsynth had both of these in paralell with a mixer
that fed into the dynamic filter stage. I seem to remeber
getting an extremeley good 'string' timbre with the Microsynth
and a guitar by adding just a bit of the 'octave up' with the
straight signal. It added a nice 'edge' to the sound.

A great Blue Box effect was to place it at the output
of a highly reasonant LPF then sweep the filter frequency
A highly 'useable' Bluebox effect.

- Kirke
(free phone calls, too)