tape echo (OT)

CCartCat at aol.com CCartCat at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 19:27:46 CEST 2000

Here are some Watkins Copycat links (cousins to the Binson link someone
posted earlier) . . .

Ye olde WEM valve gadget:

http://homepages.enterprise.net/greenworld/page5.htm

The following link has pic of Watkins with a new (as of 1998) Copycat echo,
which seems to have a varispeed control near the tension arm:

http://homepages.enterprise.net/greenworld/watkins.htm

A friend not into tape echos passed along a WEM solid state Copycat that was
distributed by Guild here in the US.  Very cool.

I read that Bauhaus used a Copycat on "Bela Lugosi's Dead" but didn't realize
how without a varispeed control they lowered the pitch of the repeats.  Then
an interview (with Daniel Ash in Guitar Player magazine, I think--names and
details sift away) revealed that by pressing firmly against the tip of the
capstan (with a thumb, a shoe heel? again, lost details) the tape speed would
bog down.  Very simple, very resourceful.

Back to lurking,
Kevin Seward

<<my god! an american copycat! I wonder if watkins knew anything about
this...... I always though it was a shame the watkins never had a varispeed.
anyone ever see the melos unit? used a tiny 1/8" cassette-loop in a slot in
the back.....

the BBC used to do tricks like tape delay to make their small concert halls
sound bigger- they'd tape-delay the main mix and feed it to speakers running
at low level throughout the space..... and then you see all this research
being done on producing exactly the opposite effect for festivals and so
forth.

the binson's the one to have, though.

d.