What are collet knobs?

jhaible jhaible at debitel.net
Mon Aug 21 02:37:24 CEST 2000

Various brands of collet knobs available - all similar, bit
differ in price and material / "feel of surface"

Rean are more on the cheap side and have a rather "soft"
feel. Large Rean's are perfectly ok, smaller ones only good
on pots with low torque - a bit slippery for stiff pots.
I'm using rean a lot. I buy them from Maplin/Uk. Strange thing
is they have just a limited selection of size / colour / collet diameter.
You can get one knob diameter only in 1/4" and another knob diameter
only in 6mm (from Maplin, that is). Which _would_ be annoying,
*but* you can change collets between knobs, so if you buy enough
of each type you can combine collets and knobs as you like.
Coloured caps is another story. I can only get red or black for
the large diameter knobs - I wished I could get grey ones somewhere
to match the smaller sizes on my JH-720.

Other brand I've tried is Elma. More expensive, harder material,
better feel.

JH.