4046 VCO experiment

Martin Czech czech at Micronas.Com
Fri Aug 18 09:21:52 CEST 2000

I checked the data sheet. The R2 (pin 12) and R1 inputs don't look very
linear, these inputs are no virtual ground summing nodes.  Only the vco
input voltage pin is said to be linear, and the error is given for some
R2 R1 examples.

I don't think that the 4046 is well suited for the application.

A XR2206 can be operated with a current source, this is quite linear
and it can run up to severall 100kHz (1MHz is the spec limit, I think,
but things are getting worse at the edge).  Been there, works. You
get the nicest sine wave of all those function generator chips as well
(unfortunately not with tri at the same time). And of course a sqa also.

I don't think it is very expensive, give it a try.

Somewhere I have a pll regulated frequency synthesizer with XR2206
schematic, well the usuall quartz, decade divider (thumbwheel), and 4046
pll. The 4046 oscillator is not used there, just the phase comparator 2.

m.c.