Thomas Henry's MIDI-to-CV Connection

WeAreAs1 at aol.com WeAreAs1 at aol.com
Thu Aug 17 22:24:57 CEST 2000

In a message dated 8/17/00 12:34:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
patchell at silcom.com writes:

<<     Heritic!?......Never let cost effectiveness be your guide.  What is
fun to do
 should be your guide.  (And judging from the rest of message, you don't seem
 think that is fun, which is just fine, everybody know what is fun for
 themselves). >>

There's another reason for building your own.  It's because all of the
commercially available converters try to idiot-proof their system so that the
main CV output (the pitch/keyboard CV) also contains the pitch bend CV and
the mod CV, usually from a software-generated LFO.  This may be fine for
those who are afraid of a soldering iron, but speaking for myself, I'd much
rather have discrete CV outputs for each of the provided MIDI control
signals.  Then, I can do with them what I wish.  For example, routing,
attenuating/multiplying (lin>log conversion!), multing to several
destinations - even using them to control stuff they weren't supposed to
control (i.e. - using pitch bend to sweep a filter - or routing it to sweep
just one sync'd VCO). On top of that, I won't be annoyed by the inherent
limitations of software LFO's.

This is not to say that the commercial units don't have their place - Indeed,
the more expensive Kenton and Encore units have some very impressive
features.  It's just that some of the cheaper DIY converters are better
equipped to do exactly what a few of us want them to do.

Michael Bacich