phaser

Magnus Danielson cfmd at swipnet.se
Tue Aug 15 00:09:43 CEST 2000

From: Jeroen Proveniers <J.Proveniers at orga.nl>
Subject: phaser
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:44:30 +0200

> Hello,

Hi Jeroen,

> last night I was working on my software synth again, and to thicken up the
> sound I added a chorus, which is just a few delay lines of which the delay
> times are slowly modulated. A phaser is almost the same, where a very short
> delay (below 10ms) is also modulated slowly, but the effect, compared to the
> chorus, is absolutely unsatisfactory. It just doesn't go 'deep' enough.
> What's wrong with my algorithm? My Boss SE-50 multieffector has quite a set
> of parameters. Speed and depth are easy. Depth controls the maximum delay
> time. But what about manual and resonance? Probably some filter is
> incorporated. Or some strong feedback path? Or are more delay lines
> neccesary?

In practice will phase shifters consist of a number (often 4 or 6) of
one-pole/one-zero all pass filters in series. They give a fairly diffrent sound
then doing a delay. Doing a digital phaser is more expensive than doing a
digital flanger, the opposite is true for for the analog case naturally.

Cheers,
Magnus