THD meter circuit needed

Tim Ressel Tim_R1 at verifone.com
Mon Aug 7 18:58:32 CEST 2000

Many moons ago I was tasked with building a distortion meter. We did the usual:
low-distortion sine, notch filter, etc. Some interesting facts came out of the
effort. For example, the notch filter was imperfect because all caps have this
"power factor" thing, which means their phase shift is not quite 90 degrees. Our
solution was to find caps with the lowest power factor possible. Also the sine
generator can be cleaned up with really good op amps, and filters to lower
harmonics and reduce low freq noise.

However, that was a long time ago. Very recently I took my Analog Devices DSP
development system and programmed it to measure distortion using the FFT method.
Got down to .005% easily. And when the DSP generates the signal, you get a bonus
of having a source sync'd to the sample rate. You can really pull out those
distortion products!

Tim Ressel--Compliance Engineer
Hewlett-Packard
Verifone Division