FM vs PM

danial stocks diode at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 11:03:41 CEST 2000

>But: Yamaha operators do PM, this sounds different.
>We had this dicussion some time ago, it was concluded that using a
>differentiator before the FM input would theoretically give
>PM, but it is of course not feasible.

The difference between PM[phase mod] & FM is that PM is not only
proportional to amplitude, but frequency of the modulating source as well..
to create FM from a PM modulator you need a 6db/oct LPF at the modulator
i/p. Conversely, to create a PM from FM modulator, a 6db/oct HPF is used. It
should be possible to use a simple RC network so long as the modulating i/p
is high-z. Of course, the DC offset will create differing effects between a
'synthetic PM' and a real PM.
Cheers,
Dan