Tube Challenge!! (3)

Rene Schmitz uzs159 at uni-bonn.de
Tue Nov 30 15:25:57 CET 1999

At 18:20 29.11.99 -0500, media at mail1.nai.net wrote:
>That makes sense.  I wonder how well CMOS can be mixed with tubes.

If one can limit the swing to be within 0V-15V there should be no problem.

>I'm not surprised the Germans have their own word for such a particular
>technical phenomenon, but I'm shocked it's only four syllables :)

Its really just a compound noun. "Anlauf" means something like onset,
beginning, start.
And "Effekt" is effect or phenomenon.

>Hmmmm . . .I'm not sure if I follow you here.  Exactly what shows an
>exponential response??  Is it in response to voltage??  Tiny currents can
>be amplified.

There is a tiny current (1..100uA depends on cathode area, material,
temperature) which can flow even at small negative cathode to plate (or
grid it can act as the plate too) voltages. The voltages range from 0V to
-1V. At -1V potential difference there is essentially no current. Because
there are so few electrons that are emitted from the cathode with energies
higher than 1eV. The law that this "start"-current obeys is given by:
I= Io exp(-|Up|/Et)
Io is the current at 0V plate voltage. Et is the thermal voltage (or
energy) which the electron needs to leave the cathode. Up is the plate
voltage (negative).
The whole effect is that the electrons have thermal (few eV) energies when
emitted
from the cathode. A small negative voltage can block this current out.

Bye
 René

opinionsexpressedher   | uzs159 at uni-bonn.de
einarethatofmyemploy   | http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs159