Tube Challenge!!

KA4HJH ka4hjh at gte.net
Mon Nov 29 22:06:02 CET 1999

>  >That could be fun, you could use a tube geiger counter to
>  >generate random noise.
>
>What's a geiger counter??  I thought it was a device used to measure
>background radiation.  I have no idea how they work.  Getting parts is
>difficult enough without searching for plutonium on the black market :)

Measuring background radiation with any device would give you noise
but not at AF (Buchla fans might not care). You need something
radioactive to speed up the counts. I have a jar of uranyl acetate
that livens things up. My radium clock isn't working as well--I guess
the half-life catches up with us all (doesn't tell time anymore,
either).

Does anyone know of a source for Geiger-Mueller tubes? There was a
guy selling brand new scintillation counters at local hamfests for
$50--a couple of years ago. 8(

Terry Bowman, KA4HJH
"The Mac Doctor"

ICQ: 45652354