Compression Effects

Plinio Barraza plinio at mail1.orientation.com
Mon Nov 29 12:57:49 CET 1999

Hi all

Although I missed the recent thread on
compressors, I was wondering what some of you
think are the most noticeable effects of
compressing a sound.

When I work in the studio, I have gotten used to
boosting the high frequencies after compressing.
I'm not sure if this is a good aproach though.

My ears definitely told me there was a light
boxy effect going on.  I guess that one could
think that the high frequencies riding ontop of
a compressed wave could get attenuated.  But one
could also think that the wave is getting more
square (steeper rise flatter top -especially in
a limiter kind of compression) and therefore it
would make the overall sound brighter.

Perhaps the filtering that takes place is
different for the type of compression used
(threshhold, attack, decay), cause if the attack
is slow I guess there is no reason for the
actual sound to change)

Any thoughts?

Plinio