Tempco calcs

jhaible jhaible at debitel.net
Sat Nov 27 01:12:43 CET 1999

> It's interesting to realize that a good tempco could be made from
> copper. (The series resistance needs to be about 20% of the 273K
> resistance in this case.) Unfortunately, the resistivity of copper is so
> low that a large amount of very fine wire would be required. This may
> not be practical: but does anyone know of a source of very fine copper
> wire? What's the smallest diameter you can get?

I don't know how to do it ourselves, but I have read somewhere that
some commercial tempco resisors have indeed been made of copper.
Not more info, unfortunately.

How does Platin fit into the picture ? There are several platin sensors
available
meanwhile that are said to be very linear tempco resistors. (I got a sample
month ago, but no time to test it.)

JH.