guitar speaker/was Re: Tube challenge!

CCartCat at aol.com CCartCat at aol.com
Fri Nov 26 19:13:03 CET 1999

JH wrote:

<<BUT - I'm sure that there *is* some contribution to the overall sound
from a saturated output transformer, little "peaks" appearing on the
maxima of a sine wave, which is quite different from other types of
distortion. I always thought that this is part of "the" sound (not sure,
though). If so, wouldn't you loose something when you retrofit your
Marshall with a "better" transformer ??>>

Yeah, supposedly (not an expert here), the output transformer is part of the
Marshall sound.  Those stressed out o.t.'s that as noted blow out so easily
are part of what's happening.

Which seems analogous to the Louis & Bebe Barron self-destructing
circuits--electronics (and in the case of the Marshall stack, eardrums) on
the edge of or in the process of blowing up.  Tho' didn't someone observe the
reverse during the recent thread on the Barron's work--their circuits not
unlike overdriven guit. amps?

In any case, Marshall amps may be the most extreme version of guitar amps
pushed toward the edge of their endurance.  They often enough go over that
edge.