guitar speaker / was Re: Tube challenge!

Harry Bissell harrybissell at prodigy.net
Thu Nov 25 21:11:48 CET 1999

The problems come if the speaker load (inductive or otherwise) goes open at any
time. This will overshoot the output transformer and can damage the tubes...

Speakers are really not very "inductive" as loads go. Try to measure the
inductance sometime. They vary from being iron core to sort of air core when the
coil leaves the gap (if you drive that far) so the inductance will go down at
that point.

The biggest problem is if you mismatch the speaker load... ie 4 ohms where 16
was expected. This will hurt the amp...

else: No problems. I completely agree with you, Dave !!!

:^) Harry