Guitar speaker was tube......

J. Larry Hendry jlarryh at iquest.net
Thu Nov 25 17:22:32 CET 1999

> From: Haible Juergen <Juergen.Haible at nbgm.siemens.de>
> While it's well known that an *open* output can cause some damage on a
tube
> power amplifier, I nver heard of a constant load resistor instead of a
> speaker
> would cause any problems. Is this really true ? And if so, why ?
> JH.

Well, I can only speak from personal experience and not from the theory
side of the equation.  However, I have ALWAYS carried in my gig bag a few
50W to 100W, 8 to 10 ohm resistors packs wired to the popular amplifier
output connectors like dual bananas and 1/4 phone.  I have used them
repeatedly in situations where amplifiers would have otherwise been left
unloaded (both tube and solid state).  I have never smoked an output stage
doing so.

L. Hendry