guitar speaker / was Re: Tube challenge!

DCMagnuson at aol.com DCMagnuson at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 15:38:15 CET 1999

In a message dated 11/25/99 9:32:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
chordman at flash.net writes:

> I've used an 8 ohm wire wound power resistor and never had problems.  I
>  did this so my buddy who plays lead guitar could get the "amp" sound
>  without having to mic it.  Much quieter, and no need to stuff the
>  speaker in a closet with two matresses.
>
>  I had heard of this potential damage, but I think it's a myth
>  created by manufacturers of commercial dummy loads.  (c;

I suspect the amp will *SOUND* different with a resistive load vs an
inductive load, but I think it's still safe to operate.  I bet the amp
doesn't react the same to a dummy load because of the non-linear response of
speakers... but I have no idea what the difference in sound would be.

Dave Magnuson
Independent Music Site
http://www.indiemusicsite.com